SET THE RIGHT (SERVICE) EXPECTATION


Recently the battery of my iPhone was no longer working, so I did go to the retail store to have the battery replaced. I assumed that I had a one-year warranty, so I could easily get it done. Wrong! The guarantee on the battery is only 6 months and it was 7 months since I bought the phone. They suggested using my insurance to get it fixed. It would cost me € 30,- and that was fine. Especially because they told me that it would only take a few days to repair and in the meantime I would receive another iPhone as a replacement. I thought this was a good deal....

Then I did call the insurance to collect my phone. I checked the statements from the retailer. And I did get a complete different story; they said that the repair would take 3 to 5 weeks and that there was a waiting list for the iPhone of more than 50 people.
Well as I had no choice (I couldn’t appropriately use the phone any more), I registered to put the process in working. So, after 2 days they were supposed to collect my phone between 8 am and 12 am. This long period is already very unfriendly to customers, especially when you are alone at home. As nobody showed up, I called them at 12.10 and they said that the guy was on his way and that it would take another hour. When he arrived he asked me whether they had informed me proactively about the delay. The answer: no. And I was not ‘happy’ with the process.

It took them 3 weeks to completely replace my phone with another one (as it could not be fixed). This time they said they would return it between 2 pm an 6 pm. So, guess what...... he showed up at 1.50 pm.

From a service perspective there are quite some learnings here:
-       As an insurance company the quality of your product is proved when the event happens for which you concluded the insurance. So, make sure that the service is great and meets your expectations and from the customers.
-       Inform your retail channel about the correct and actual service process.
-       Update your customer when you cannot stick to your commitments.
-       Plan your visits in timeframes of ½ an hour.
-       Check whether the costs of your service delivery process are calculated accurately in the pricing process.
-       Remember that a bad experience has a huge negative impact on your brand and ultimately your profit.

So, even for a relatively simple service you have to design the service with the end-user in mind and document all the touch points.



GROW YOUR PEOPLE, GROW YOUR BUSINESS!


Featured in Alltop

Popular posts from this blog

10 most common leadership shortcomings and how to resolve them

Do you feel like you’re running around in a straitjacket?

AMAZON’S Backlog in Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company