As the twig is bent the tree is inclined, by training both your brain and body.


 



It is a societal phenomenon that people stop growing and learning once they finish their education. When they have a job, they will of course – over time - get more proficient in their work and occasionally follow a course. But that is basically it. 

The neurons in their brain are hardly stimulated and become dormant. If, years later, something happens and they have to be retrained (as technology has taken over their job) or learn a new language, then it is very hard to revive the capacity to learn.

 

It is similar to the muscles in your body. If you don’t use it, you lose it. After 25 years old, the muscles decrease in strength unless you put in the effort to keep them fit.

 

It seems that life is all downhill once you are approximately 25 years old and finished your education.

That is the default process.

 

The good news is that you can reverse that trajectory by intentionally training both your body and brain. 

Preferably you stay in the same process of stretching yourself after your 25th. That is easy as you are already in that cadence. The longer you wait, the harder it becomes to pick it up again. If you are in your forties or fifties and you realize that you have to learn an entirely new profession, it is hard if you haven’t maintained your learning muscle for more than twenty years. 

 

The same is true for your lifestyle. If you continue exercising once you have a job and family, it is a sustainable healthy habit. But starting again with exercising after more than ten years of slack is very challenging.

 

Let me share some examples for training both your body and brain.

At the end of my fifties, I did realize that I had to do strength training to reverse the aging process. That was hard as I had never done strength training before. The easy part was to be disciplined and practice as that is what I have been doing all of my life with other sports. Still, I wish I had started in my twenties with strength training.

In high school, I was quite fluent in speaking and writing in German. Since that time, I rarely used it, so I lost that capability and now it is quite challenging to upgrade it again. The opposite is true for English as I speak and use it daily, it is very easy. I wish I has maintained my German in the way I maintained my English.

 

I hope that you make it a standard practice in your life to regularly train both your brain and body. Make that a practice throughout your life!

 

You can train your brain here, www.brainathletes.club


Popular posts from this blog

10 most common leadership shortcomings and how to resolve them

Do you feel like you’re running around in a straitjacket?

AMAZON’S Backlog in Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company